2012年4月25日星期三

Ding Darling: Tram it, drive it, or bike it?

We%26#39;re visiting Sanibel in May and plan on going to Ding Darling. I%26#39;m just wondering what people%26#39;s thoughts are on the ';best'; way to experience it. We (my huband and I) are not HUGE nature buffs, but we definitely want to visit, explore, and learn. Is the tram ride worth the money? Do you get ';that much more'; out of taking it?





Thanks everyone!



Ding Darling: Tram it, drive it, or bike it?


I had some company in from CA over the weekend and took them to Ding Darling. We decided to take the tram instead of driving in order to get an ';expert'; to give us information. It was very enjoyable and Robert, our driver made it a great deal of fun and was extremely knowledgeable about a great many things. I do not think you will be disappointed if you take the tram - I believe it was $13.00 per person and took a little over an hour or so. Enjoy your time in FL.



Ding Darling: Tram it, drive it, or bike it?


We have done the Ding Darling twice now, the 1st time we took the tram which we really enjoyed because our guide was very knowledgable about all the wildlife and he was great fun as well. The 2nd time we cycled and that was great fun as well because you can go at your own pace, stop and take photo%26#39;s and talk to other people and we were lucky enough to keep bumping into the %26#39;info man%26#39; on our way round. My favourite things to look at were the roseate spoonbills, I spent a long time watching them.



We are not nature buffs but we learnt a lot from both trips and will do it again soon i hope.




I%26#39;ve taken the tram at least 10 times over the years. Though much is %26#39;same old%26#39; for me, I still learn something new each trip. Some guides are better than others. If this is your first time thru, take the tram. Even non-nature lovers get lots of island history and info.




If it%26#39;s your first visit the Tram is definitely your best option as your guide will know where to find anything of interest and will also give you much background information on the reserve.



If that whets your appetite and you have the time to visit again biking it is the next best option. Take fluids and a hat and enjoy.




I think everyone%26#39;s first visit to the refuge should be the tram. Since I%26#39;m in the refuge for hours when I%26#39;m in Sanibel, I also hear the trams go past. Some drivers are definitely better than others, but all of them are better (meaning more knowledgable) than you are (thus, don%26#39;t drive the first time through).





There is so much I would never know had I not been on the tram. Definitely take the tram. The second best would be to take the kayak naturalist-led tour at Tarpon Bay (this is part of the refuge). If you have no background with mangrove swamps you need to have someone explain to you what you are seeing. Try to go around low tide (call the refuge and ask -- they have the schedule).





To bike the refuge does take some stamina -- the island is flat, but it is a one-way ride. This means 4 miles through and another 4 miles back. Depending on the time of year, this, plus the ride to and from where you are staying can be a bit much.





When I just get to Sanibel, and I%26#39;m not quite up to ';island shape'; I ask my husband drive the bikes to the refuge parking lot and we bike from there -- cuts 2 miles from our ride.





Biking is just different from riding. Actually, I%26#39;m in the refuge almost daily (except Fridays - which I HATE). Most of the time, I prefer driving. When I%26#39;m on the bike, if I stop and want to watch or photograph wildlife, I might spend an hour watching/taking pictures, then I have to get on the bike %26amp; bike home. In that case, to have the lovely beater red Windstar van to climb into and drive down the road is heaven. When I stop, I may be walking back and forth, back and forth, on and on. In the van, I can turn on the air, have a couple of bottles of water, snacks, and then back to the refuge.





BUT, I see so many people driving through the refuge at the wrong time (try to go at low tide), they don%26#39;t know what to look at or for, the kids are bored, and everyone is frustrated.





If you drive or bike, please don%26#39;t hesitate to stop and visit with people. Talk to the ';Info'; people (their car is marked and they generally will have scopes and can tell you what you are looking at and will answer your questions. Stop and ask the people fishing if they%26#39;ve caught anything. If you see someone crabbing (hint, long-handled net) if they%26#39;ve caught any crabs. Anyone out in the refuge will generally be happy to try to answer your questions or point out things that you might have missed. I think I will still be in Sanibel when you%26#39;re there -- if you see a red van with Wyoming plates around the island, or more specifically in the refuge, stop and visit. The reason we are there is because we love it, so we are happy to share that love with you.





You didn%26#39;t ask about hiking, but there are several short to long hikes in the refuge as well -- those are wonderful.




Well it%26#39;s settled then - the tram it is! Thank you everyone for the advice and information, greatly appreciate it!




Thanks for the great topic. I wondered the same. We will take the tram as well when we go next month.




Is the tram available at the entrance to the park?




You book the tram by phone and then pay at a small kiosk in the main lot nearest the Visitor Center then walk over to extra lot and you%26#39;ll see the boarding area.




Great! Thanks.

没有评论:

发表评论