2012年4月25日星期三

Cash, Credit Cards or Travlers Checks

Okay our first trip to KW is 31 days away. What should we take?? All Cash?? Do the bars take travlers checks?? Use a credit card??





I know there are seasoned KW travlers that will know what is best and easiest to use on island time.





Thanks for your advice.



Cash, Credit Cards or Travlers Checks


Credit Cards all the way. Dont use prepaid cards either, just a regular credit card that you pay off!





The reasoning is very simple, credit cards are the simplest to dispute and charge back charges that are not valid.





Yes, taking a card to a bar is not the most convient thing in the world, but its worth it in my opinion.





Credit Cards give you a level of protection that differs from any other monetary form. Travlers Checks are the same thing as paper checks only with a bit more security, but they really are a pain and more and more places will not take them.





Cash can get stolen, and you dont have any recourse.





Credit Cards (not Debit Cards) are the best way to go.





I sorta kinda have a ton of experience in this field and area so if you have questions let me know!



Cash, Credit Cards or Travlers Checks


Never had a problem with a credit card although I always carry some cash with me.




Well if you%26#39;re going to the Green Parrot, and I hope you do since it%26#39;s the best bar on the island to hear live music, bring cash...they don%26#39;t take plastic!



We usually bring plastic and cash. Why use a credit card if you%26#39;re just going to Kelly%26#39;s for happy hour for a few beers and margaritas?? $20 max, so use cash.



But if you%26#39;re getting a big meal somewhere, or even to pay off the hotel room, use plastic.





cheers!




DFWPhotoguy - thanks for the advice about the prepaid cards. I was thinking about doing that this year but I couldn%26#39;t make up my mind. I think you just helped me decide.




Most people dont realize that prepaid credit cards or online ';virtual'; credit cards are EVIL.





Authorizations can hold weeks if not months. You are in for a much larger headache with them than a regular credit card.





Prepaid Cards to stay away from at all costs:



Green Dot



Account Now



Bank Freedom



Vision



Western Union



BuyRight



CreditSolveUK





I agree cash and credit card all the way. Always book hotels on credit cards, as well as cars and big purchases.





If they are not up to your standards and the hotel is not willing to work with you, just say these magic words ';I will dispute/chargeback these charges, and report you to the BBB'; I promise things change once they hear those magic words.





I could do a entire traveler article on consumer rights and how to note get taken by the man.




A lot of bars in the Keys do not take credit cards and those establishments who do accept them usually have a minimum $20 charge. If you plan on stopping by several bars to have a single drink, the credit card won%26#39;t work. Also, I think most wait staff prefers tips in cash rather than one on a credit card slip.




We always use Credit Cards for the Hotel and gas on the way to the keys. Cash for bar tabs. If we want to buy a larger items or a expensive dinner- credit card. I don%26#39;t want to pay interest on my drinks : )





kim




Was also thinking about the tip side of things... Why tip Uncle Sam? If it%26#39;s documented, it%26#39;s taxed. Take your debit card and a credit card. Each day, debit out the cash you think you%26#39;ll need for food and drink purchases. Tangible items such as shopping, excursion tickets for sunset cruises, attraction etc... Use the CC. Simple solution. This way, if you need to dispute a charge for merchandise or services, you%26#39;re covered and if for some reason, there was a mix-up on the price of a meal or bar tab, you know and can fix it right then and there.




I think a mix of debit cards and cash works fine. I bring a good base of cash that I work off of to make sure i%26#39;m not going beyond the fairly large budget i set for myself as is.





I say a debit card because in the afternoon, I find it nice sometimes to just open a tab and let it run. If you%26#39;re known they won%26#39;t need a card, but most will. So you don%26#39;t even really need to use the card, but have it to run a tab. I personally like tipping off a big tab as opposed to tipping per drink.




Eloquently put seabus! Thats pretty much exactly the right thing to do!





If you want the strong drinks, tip in cash!


  • colorstay
  • 没有评论:

    发表评论